Tuesday, March 29, 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: Jennifer Ellision

Jennifer Ellision is the author of Threats of Sky and Sea, which Arianna absolutely adored. Enjoy their interview below. 

Interview Conducted by:
Arianna

1. What is your favorite book ever? Author?

Ah, such a difficult question. I don't think I can definitively pick just one book or author, but Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce is an old YA Fantasy favorite, as is most of Pierce's work.

2. Who is your favorite character in your book?

Definitely Bree, but I have a soft spot for Aleta, in all of her prickly glory, as well.

3. What is your favorite part in your book?

One of my favorite scenes in Threats is the passage where Bree confronts her Da and he finally gives her many (but not all, of course) of the details of his past that he's been keeping a secret from her for so long. 

4. What was your inspiration for this amazing read?

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I've always been inspired by stories of people with magical abilities tied to the elements, but what inspired the whole series was a scene that never made it into the final draft. While daydreaming, I had an image jump into my head of two girls arguing. One pushed the other into the fire-- and she didn't burn.

5. If you could have one power, what would it be?

I'd want to be a Water Thrower! I always love a good beach or pool day and it would be pretty cool to be able to body surf by controlling the waves. ^_~

6. How long have you been writing?
As long as I can remember. My parents still have stories that I wrote for fun in elementary school, and I spent most of my free time in high school writing pieces of fanfiction. I graduated college with a degree in creative writing and just kept right on going.

7. Any advice for young writers?

Write whatever you're inspired to write. There's nothing wrong with starting out writing fanfiction, if that's what you're moved to write. Practice is the best way to perfect your craft. 

Oh, and read. A LOT.

8. Top 10 favorite songs of all time?

Oh man. I have playlists that are over 4 hours long, but I'll give this a shot! In no particular order:

Grand Theft Autumn - Fall Out Boy
Satisfied - from Hamilton the Musical
Stuttering - The Friday Night Boys
Best Day of My Life - American Authors
Leave the Night On - Sam Hunt
Watch What Happens - from Newsies
Love Story- Taylor Swift
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional
I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! At the Disco

9. Any other interesting info/facts about your or your book that you would like to share?

I'm about halfway done with the final book in the series, Fall of Thrones and Thorns and if all goes well next month with "Camo NaNoWriMo," I'll finish April with a complete and revised draft!

Thank you for having me!

Thank you so much for your time and support of our blog! I can't wait to read the next books in the series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment