Friday, September 25, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Flipping the Scales by Pete Tarsi


BLURB:

Meredith and Marina’s lives have been flipped upside down. 


When the translucent skirt that straight-A-student Meredith finds hidden on the beach gets wet, it transforms her legs into a mermaid tail. Despite the evidence in front of her, she insists that becoming a mythical creature isn’t scientifically possible. 

Marina is allowed to experience one day per moon cycle among the humans. After hiding her tail on the beach that morning, she takes her first timid steps on land. When she returns at sunset to find it missing, she is left stranded and alone. 

For the first time in her life, Meredith doesn’t have all the answers. As she searches for a way to return to normal before the next full moon, she makes waves among the school of mermaids. Meanwhile, Marina uncovers information about her past, and for the first time in her life, she must stand on her own two feet and take the lead on her own adventure. 

As Meredith senses her human side slipping away, a forbidden way to change back entices her. But it comes with a consequence: Marina wouldn’t be able to return to the ocean.


REVIEW BY: Arianna, age 12 years, 9 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was extremely touching! I like how the characters never give up, they persevere through the journey. 

My favorite character is Hailey because she does all she can to help her friends. When everyone else lost hope, she held her head high and fixed the problems. She has an amazingly pure heart that I love! 

I have to say, my favorite part is when Marina finds out her mother is on the mainland because it makes me fill with warmth. I feel like I am sitting in front of a fireplace wrapped in a cozy blanket. I am super happy because one day Marina might find her parents. 

I recommend this book for readers who like amazing fantasies, magnificent examples of true friendship, and unforgettable journeys. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 11 and up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment