Monday, September 14, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Tara Crowl


Interview conducted by Arianna

Tara Crowl is the author of Eden's Wish which gained a very good review from Arianna. Arianna had the chance to interview Ms. Crowl. Enjoy the interview and video! 

1. Why did the man drown in hot chips? Why not pancakes or twinkles?

Pancakes or Twinkies would be great too! Especially buttery pancakes with syrup all over them! Ew!!

As you know, Darryl Dolan lives in Australia, and I was living in Australia when I wrote this chapter. I guess I chose hot chips because I noticed that they're really popular in the kind of pubs and restaurants there that I imagined Darryl would go to. When I created Darryl's character, it just made sense to me that he would wish for an unlimited supply of them.
  
2. What was your inspiration for this book?

I got the idea one day when I was on a plane. For some reason I started imagining what life would be like for a genie. Even though the idea of being a genie is sort of intriguing and glamorous, I realized that being trapped inside an oil lamp until someone rubbed it would be really frustrating. Plus, when you did get to leave and come to Earth, you'd have to grant three wishes for someone and then you'd be sucked right back inside.

From there, I started to dream up the character of Eden: a genie who longs for the freedom to explore Earth like the people she sees during her grantings. That was where the story began.

3. Who is your favorite character in Eden's Wish?

I have to say, it's Eden. I love how she's adventurous, curious, and brave, but still vulnerable. But, like you, I also really like Faye. Actually, I think there are things I like about all the characters--even the evil ones!

4. How long did it take you to write Eden's Wish?

From the time I started it to when it was sold to Disney-Hyperion (the publisher), it took three years. Then, after that, there were another two years before it was released. But I wasn't writing for all that time; along the way, I was also doing a Master's program at a university in Sydney, then working different jobs in New York to make enough money to keep writing on the side. Not to mention, a lot of that time was spent waiting for responses as I went through the submission process. The road to publication can be a long one, but it's worth it!

5. Is there another book to Eden's Wish? If so, I would love to review it for you or any other book you write!

Thank you!! Yes, there will be a sequel out next fall, so definitely look out for it. I would love to read your review for that one too!

6. What is your favorite amusement park ride?

Roller coasters. I like them fast and scary, with as many turns and loops as possible!

7. How long have you been writing?

I wanted to write when I was young, but I stopped in high school and studied film in college. I worked in Hollywood for two years before I started to write again and decided to go to grad school for creative writing. That was five years ago.

8. How old were you when you had your first piece published?

An essay that I wrote was published in the newspaper in my hometown in Tennessee when I was 12. It was about my band teacher, who had just died of cancer. But my first fiction story was published in an anthology when I was 24.

9. What is your favorite book that you have written?

This one--so far, it's the only one!

10. What is your favorite book in general? Favorite author?

My favorite book is A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. Generally, my favorite author is Roald Dahl--I love all his books.



No comments:

Post a Comment