Monday, September 14, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Rebecca Hahn

Interview conducted by Angel

Thank you to author Rebecca Hahn for agreeing to an interview with Angel. Rebecca Hahn is the author of two books currently. Those being:
  • A Creature of Moonlight; and
  • The Shadow Behind the Stars
Enjoy the interview below! 

1. What was your inspiration for creating the 3 sisters of the darkness?

The three sisters represent the three Fates from Greek mythology, so that was a major inspiration in their creation and in the feel of book. I used to read and reread D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths when I was growing up, and I loved thinking about all the different gods and how they might interact with humans and with one other.

More particularly, the inspiration for Chloe and her sisters came from an image in my head of a girl standing by the edge of the sea, the wind blowing through her hair. She seemed magical and somehow sad. I don’t remember exactly how I decided that she was one of the Fates, but when I started to write the first scene in her voice, I already knew a lot about her character. I liked writing from Chloe’s voice and exploring her relationships with her sisters. They’re isolated from much of the world, but they are very close to one another.

2. Did you have any books that helped you with your inspiration for the Shadow Behind the Stars?

As mentioned above, D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths definitely influenced the way I thought about Greek mythology. I am sure there are dozens of books I have read that influenced The Shadow Behind the Stars in one way or another. While I was writing, I read nonfiction books to learn about the everyday lives of real ancient Greeks.

3. What character in your book can you relate most to you? Mine is Chloe. 

I think mine is Chloe as well. She stays in her head a lot of the time, observing and processing what’s going on around her—that’s very much like me.

4. What is your favorite book? Favorite author?

Oh goodness. For a long time The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley was my favorite book. Now I don’t think I could name one favorite book, though I still love everything by McKinley. Some other favorite authors are Patricia A. McKillip, Charles de Lint, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Lloyd Alexander.

5. Where did you go to school? Did you graduate with any type of degree for writing?

I majored in English at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. Not a writing degree, though I did write lots of essays! I loved studying English—paying close attention to how the words interact, how the themes grow throughout the book, whether we ought to trust the narrator—it was all right up my alley.

6. What is your favorite scene in your book?

Oh no, I don’t think I can pick that! I’d love to know what your favorite scene is, but I’d feel so bad for all the scenes I didn’t pick.

7. Will there be another book to the Shadow Behind the Stars? If so, I would love to read it and review it for you. 

So far there isn’t a sequel or a companion planned for The Shadow Behind the Stars. I’m glad to know you would be interested, though!

8. Do you have a favorite place where you write at (i.e. office, couch, coffee shop, etc.)?

I usually write at home, somewhere comfortable like the couch or the bed. I like to be away from people, so that I don’t start wondering who’s watching me write and what they would think of what I’m writing.

9. How old were you when you started writing and why did you start writing?

I wrote poems and stories when I was very small, as soon as I could write, in the way that very small children often make up stories. I kept writing poetry and experimenting with stories through elementary school and high school; in college I took some creative writing classes. After I graduated from college I started seriously trying to write books.

I started writing probably because I liked to make things up. I kept writing in part because it gave me a way to express my emotions and my wonder at the world. Plus, I love the way well-written sentences feel in your mouth: it makes me happy to be trying to create something beautiful.

10. What do you think about our reviews? How about our blog?

I think your reviews and your blog are great! I hope you are all having a blast with it.

11. What advice do you have for young writers?

Read lots, write lots. Don’t be afraid to experiment and to try new things with your writing. Every time you try, even if it doesn’t work, you’ll learn something.

12. How old were you when you had your first piece of writing published?

My first book, A Creature of Moonlight, was published when I was 27 years old.

13. Do you think your book should be turned into a movie? I do!

I would be thrilled if it were turned into a movie! Maybe you can write to Hollywood and convince them to make it happen.

14. Why did you pick this book genre for writing?

I’ve always loved fantasy, especially fairy-tale- and myth-inspired fantasy. I think that fantasy elements can work metaphorically to advance the themes and emotional impact of the book, and they seem rich and meaningful to me. If I were a painter, I would paint dragons and witches, with lots of dark colors and a few surreal elements. So that’s what I try to write too. Those are the things that seem especially beautiful to me.

Thank you so much Rebecca Hahn. 

If you want to read more about Ms. Hahn, you can go to her website at: http://rebeccahahnbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment